OVERVIEW OF THE MUNICIPALITY
Bolpur Municipality is an urban Local Body. The introduction of Local Self Government in the district of Birbhum took place during the British rule. After independence Bolpur Municipality was established on the 12th June in the year 1950 under the provision of West Bengal municipal Act. This also has the distinction of having associated with the activities of Visva-Bharati University founded by Gurudev Rabindra Nath Tagore. The Bolpur Municipal town has a special importance of its own and famous as International city due to memorials with the name of Shantiniketan founded by Gurudev Rabindra Nath Tagore, First Indian Noble Laureate and another Noble Laureate Prof Dr. Amartya Sen also in the Bolpur Town. The Bolpur Municipality consists of 20 wards represented by Councilors, who are elected by the people of the each ward. The total area of the municipality is 13.13 sq Km having its present population 80210 as per census 2011. Density of population is around 6000 per sq. km. and there are 69 Notified slum and 6 non- notified slum pockets within the 20 wards. Bolpur is linked by both Roads and Railways with major towns and cities like Burdwan , Kolkata , Siliguri , Guahatai , Tribandrum etc. It is linked with broad gauge railway line and is situated at a distance of 159 km. from Kolkata, Bolpur is well connected with Suri, the district head quarter town of Birbhum, Bolpur is situated in the South East portion of Birbhum District.
OVERALL MUNICIPAL VISION
Bolpur Municipality visualizes itself into an environmentally clean, green and pollution free, ecologically sound and economically self reliant urban area where all citizens live healthy, culturally and socially dynamic lives, safeguarding the interests of weaker sections of society, including the physically challenged and mentally retarded. It intends to transform itself a more attractive town ensuring all households in the Municipality adequate and equitable access to basic services, giving special emphasis to proper drainage and solid waste management, assuring increase in education to all target groups, enhancement in awareness level and provision of primary health care especially to marginalized Target Group, encouragement in sports & cultural activities, ensuring gainful employment with special focus on youth, enabling environment in encouraging business and enterprising activities so that Bolpur Municipality becomes a Citizens Municipality in future. HISTORY: YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT OF MUNICIPALITY As to the origin of the name the legend has been stated in the entry of â€śSupur.â€ťAs to its history it was a small village in 1851-52 in pargana Supur. A major road is passed by the village which led from Bankura to Katwa. Another road, leading from Burdwan to Suri also passed by it. The road to Behrampore branched off towards the north east from here. With the establishment of the Munsifâ€™s court here in 1871, the police station & the sub registry office in 1876 shifted respectively from Amdapara, Kasba & Surul, Bolpur begun to prosper. The establishment of â€śBandhgora School (renamed Bolpur High School) in 1878 & the activities of the Methodist Episcopal Church Missionaries added to the growth of Bolpur. With the opening of the railway line in 1859-60 the place was already gaining importance. People from different villages along with the river Ajoy began to flock this township & it begun to grow. And the last but not the least, impetus for its growth was derived from the establishment of Santiniketan Brahmachryashram drawing visitors from within & outside the country.
The area of this Municipal town is 13.13 sq. km. The sadar Sub-Division is longer in area among the three sub-divisions within the district where as the district of Birbhum having an area of 4550 sq. km is ranked 9th among all the district of the state. Bolpur town occupies 0.28% of total area of the district whereas the district occupies 5 % of the area of entire West Bengal.
The district is under the Jurisdiction of Burdwan Division & comprises of three sub-divisions, namely Bolpur, Suri & Rampurhat, Suri is the head quarter of the district & the Sadar Sub-Division as well. The Sadar Sub-Division is constituted of 10 police stations & 11 blocks & the district have 14 police stations & 19 blocks.
The town Bolpur is under the coverage of Bolpur police station & Bolpur Sub-Division. Bolpur accommodates the Sub-Divisional Office & Police Station Office & the Offices of various other departments of the Govt. & Semi Govt. level of both State & Centre.